Faith In Action: Crisis in Japan
Baylor was built on the words "Is it not now time to build a great humanitarian hospital...?" We are now putting those words into action.
Faith In Action Initiatives was started by Baylor's Mission and Ministry Office to provide resources and medical volunteers to grassroots organizations locally and abroad.
Last year, FIAI organized 3,000 pounds of medical supply donations and 35 medical volunteers to help the earthquake victims in Haiti. In the past week, FIAI has sent needed resources to organizations in Kenya and Nigeria. And when the earthquake and tsunami hit Japan, FIAI quickly moved to provide aid.
Baylor's Faith in Action Initiatives team is addressing disaster relief in Japan in the following ways:
- Needs assessment communication with Baylor All Saints’ Dr. Shinichi Matsumoto and Dr. Morihito Takita to develop the most efficient approaches.
- Daily networking with many partners such as: Baptist World Alliance; Japan Baptist Convention; North American Baptist Fellowship disaster relief team; International Red Cross; and Buckner, Intl.
- Gathering needed supplies such as gauze, masks, latex gloves, powdered infant formula, limb braces, diapers, coats, etc. Some of the needed resources are already in the FIAI warehouse.
- Procuring an 8’x8’x40’ shipping container, and have already raised the $6,000 to pay for shipping the supplies to Japan.
- Developing a BHCS-wide Japan Disaster Relief Ad-Hoc committee of more than 35 BHCS staff from all levels across the system.
- Setting up a donation path on www.mybaylor.com for BHCS employees who wish to contribute to Japan disaster relief.
How The General Public Can Help
Don Sewell, head of FIAI, is open to discuss donations, supplies, and volunteers to aid those in Japan and in other locations. Please contact Don at (214) 818-9449. You can also use the form below to donate needed funds to this worthy cause.
How Baylor Employees Can Help
FIAI has created an inspirational e-page called the “Daily Flame of BHCS” which is found at the bottom of www.mybaylor.com (accessible to employees only). It will have a special focus on Japan.
The 2011 Baylor Health Care System Employee Giving Campaign will allow employees from across Baylor to support Faith In Action Initiatives, during this critical time and year-round. The EGC campaign starts April 11 and employees will receive their donation forms at that time.
Thank you for helping us to put the Baylor mission into action.
DONATE NOW - Change a life
Use the donation form below. Please select Mission and Ministry and note "Faith In Action" or "Japan" in the comments box.